for use with Wattson Solar Plus or Optimmersion Wireless
- Automatic solution
Optiplug turns appliances on when they can run on your generated electricity and off if there isn’t enough surplus– making use of your generated electricity automatically even when you are out.
- Easy add-on
Optiplug is easy to add on to any Wattson system measuring generation to start and with Optimmersion Wireless and Optismart Hot Water to continue to make use of surplus power.
- Smart use of your power
Optiplug prioritises high powered appliances to switch on first to make the best use of your surplus generated power.
What people are saying about Optiplug
David Jones, Daventry
Tony Hall, Lancashire
Derek Weaver, Hampshire
- Optiplug is an intelligent socket which switches on your appliances when you have spare electricity.
- The smart socket learns and understands how much electricity is used by the appliances that are plugged into it.
- Optiplug then only switches on when enough electricity is available for those appliances, switching off when there no longer enough surplus electricity.
- When more than one Optiplugs are installed, the built-in intelligence prioritises your appliances by power to minimise the amount of switching that takes place. To ensure maximum efficiency of your surplus power, higher power appliances take priority over lower powered ones: a 2kW appliance would switch on first and switch off last and a 300W appliance would come on last and switch off first.
- The smart activity optimises your use of your own excess generated electricity.
- Works with existing Wattson Solar Plus, Optimmersion® Wireless, Optismart Hot Water and original Wattson systems that measure renewable energy.
How it works
- Optiplug measures how much electricity the appliance plugged into it uses, and when Wattson tells it there is enough surplus energy for the appliance to run, Optiplug will switch on. It will switch off as soon as there is not enough surplus electricity, for example when you turn something else on or when the sun goes down.
- Optiplug uses Wattson sensors to constantly measure the power being generated by Solar PV and also power in use in the home.
- The system knows not to keep things switching on and off.
- Optiplug can listen to up to 4 transmitters, just like the Wattson Solar Plus.
- Multiple Optiplugs can be installed in each home; higher power appliances will turn on with priority over lower power appliances. Optiplugs have manual override so appliances can still be used when there is not enough sun.
- There is a manual override button should you wish to keep the item on.
- There is a time delay on switching off and switching on, so that multiple Optiplugs don’t compete for the same amount of spare energy.
- Check out our installation videos here.
- Can be used with any device that uses/charges with electricity, that doesn’t require a manual switch on (unlike most washing machines) and doesn’t mind being interrupted.
We have come up with quite a number of uses for Optiplugs that may help you get ideas of how you can use the smart socket in your house.
If you are using Optiplug for something else, please let us know by Tweeting to @WattsonEnergeno
• Electric heaters
• Oil filled radiators
• Storage heaters
• Connect multiple heaters to come on in sequence
• Air conditionners
• De-humidifiers • Air to air heat source pumps
• Tumble dryers
• Tea Urns
• Robot vacuum cleaners
• Washing machines
• Charging home electronics
• Low-power immersion heaters
• Pool pumps
• Pool heaters
• Pond pumps
• Water features
• Water pumps e.g. for rainwater harvesting
• Hot Tubs
• Drinks fridges
• Robotic pool cleaners
• Electric Cars
• Nissan Leaf
• Electric bike
• Electric scooters
• Golf buggies
- For technical specifications and downloads, please visit the Support page.
Optiplug uses data from the Wattson transmitter so it needs one of the following products to work:
- Optimmersion Wireless. Optiplugs will switch on your appliances once your hot water tank is full at temperature making them an easy addition to ensure you continue to benefit from your surplus electricity.